Pneumagen is a clinical-stage biotech company developing Neumifil, a broad-spectrum antiviral, as an intranasal drug for the prophylaxis of a wide range of viral respiratory tract infections (RTIs).
Neumifil is a novel, engineered multivalent Carbohydrate Binding Molecule (mCBM), which is being developed for the prevention and treatment of Influenza Virus (IFV), Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), Human Rhinovirus (hRV) and Coronavirus infections including SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Neumifil acts by binding directly to sialic aid on host cells and preventing the entry of the viral pathogens into the host. Neumifil was generated using Pneumagen’s proprietary GlycoTarge™ technology that identifies novel mCBMs for further development.
In addition to Neumifil, Pneumagen is harnessing its GlycoTarge™ platform to develop a pipeline of additional therapies targeting other infectious diseases.
Pneumagen was established in 2016 as a spin-out from the University of St Andrews in Scotland giving Pneumagen access to world-class scientific expertise and capabilities in viral RTI’s specifically related to glycobiology.
"We believe that Neumifil has the potential to dramatically change the disease management landscape of patients with chronic lung disease at risk of viral induced exacerbations. As a broad-spectrum antiviral, this novel treatment option has the potential to significantly reduce complications, hospitalisations and death for these patients who currently have limited options to prevent exacerbations of their condition.
- Dr Charles Haworth, Chairman of the CAG
Pneumagen is managed by an executive team with extensive experience working in leading global pharma and biotech companies and a successful track record in value creation.
Board of Directors
Pneumagen has a world-class Scientific Advisory Board and a Clinical Advisory Group with extensive infectious disease and respiratory expertise.
- Pneumagen founded as a spin-out from the University of St Andrews, Scotland
- Pneumagen demonstrates pre-clinical proof of concept for Neumifil
- Pneumagen closes investment to fund clinical development of Neumifil
- Neumifil demonstrates in vitro activity against SARS-CoV-2
- Fundraising completed to advance Neumifil in the clinic
- Neumifil enters Phase 1 clinical trials
- Fundraising completed for Phase 2a challenge study
- First patient dosed in Neumifil Phase 2a proof-of-concept challenge study
- New international Clinical Advisory Group established